30 Argentinean Officials Graduate from 2016 IEFPA - UNITAR Programme for Trainers in Transnational Fiscal Transparency
24 October 2016, Geneva, Switzerland. The Public Finance Institute of Argentina (IEFPA) and UNITAR successfully concluded the 2016 Programme for Trainers in Transnational Fiscal Transparency with a seminar held on 17 October 2016 in Geneva. On 18 October participants undertook a study visit to Bern where the Head of the International Financial Affairs Section at the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAE) Mr. Alexander Renggli briefed the participants on the policies and practices of Switzerland in the area of Exchange of Information. After the briefing, participants discussed this and other international fiscal policy issues with Mr. Renggli and four other Swiss officials.
The President of IEFPA Prof Raùl Roa and the official representative of the Public Income Administration of Argentina (AFIP) Ms. Maria Jorgelina Cruz opened the seminar at the Palais des Nations in the presence of the Deputy Head of the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the UN in Geneva, H.E. Mr. Gabriel Martinez.
Five senior experts on international fiscal matters discussed the following topics with the participants:
- Dr. Osvaldo R. Agatiello, Adjunct Professor of International Relations at International University in Geneva (IUG) and international consultant: “Ethics in Public Finance”.
- Mr. Richard Bolwijn, Chief of Trade Facilitation Section, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD): “Linkages between fiscal policies and international investment”.
- Ms. María Jorgelina Cruz, Specialist in International Fiscal Strategy, Public Income Administration of Argentina (AFIP): “International standards on information exchange: Establishing the Argentinean case.”
- Ms. Patricia Milano, Auditor, Public Income Administration of Argentina (AFIP): “Recommendations of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), its treatment in Argentina and the importance of tax audit.”
- Mr. Carlos García Pastrana, Secretary of Academic Extension Studies, Public Finance Institute of Argentina (IEFPA): “International transparency and effective control of the jurisdictional link. Money laundering and tax evasion – Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) Action Plan.”
The 30 Argentinean federal government officials who successfully completed the Programme consisting of face-to-face courses in Argentina, online courses in partnership with UNITAR, and seminars in Madrid and Geneva received a Certificate of Completion from IEFPA and UNITAR.
The partnership between IEFPA and UNITAR goes back to 2010, when IEFPA and UNITAR organized the first joint e-Learning courses related to taxation issues. The main objective of IEFPA/UNITAR Programme for Trainers in Transnational Fiscal is to strengthen connections between tax officials through exchange of experiences and good practices. The Programme flows directly from the United Nations’ vision of sustainable development which calls for one single sustainable development agenda. Accomplishments to date under the partnership between UNITAR and IEFPA include five joint e-Learning courses, and one joint seminar and study visit.
On 17 October 2016 the President of IEFPA and the Officer-in-Charge of UNITAR formalized both organization’s commitment to significantly expand their collaboration in 2017/2018 by opening the Programme to regional and international organizations, and extending the duration of the 2017 seminar in Geneva and the related study visit to 5 days.
Further information about IEFPA can be found at www.iefpa.org.ar (in Spanish).
UNITAR and IEFPA successfully conclude first International Training Programme on Taxation with graduation of 50 Argentinean tax officials
28 September 2015, Geneva, Switzerland. To conclude the first joint International Training Programme on Taxation, UNITAR and the Institute for Studies of Public Finances of Argentina (IEFPA) organized a graduation seminar on 21 September 2015 at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
The seminar was opened by the Deputy Director General for Legal Affairs of the Federal Administrator of Public Revenue of Argentina (AFIP) Dr. Pedro Gustavo Roveda, the President of IEFPA Prof. Raul Roa, the Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN in Geneva Ambassador Alberto D’Alotto, and the Officer-in-charge of UNITAR Mr. Francesco Pisano.
Fifty Argentinean federal officials who successfully completed this six month programme participated in the seminar and received a certificate of completion from UNITAR and IEFPA.
Four eminent experts on international taxation discussed the following topics with the seminar participants:
- Mr. Carlos García Pastrana, Secretary of University Extension Studies at IEFPA: “Strategies to prevent money laundering by global taxpayers”.
- Ms. Mayra Lucas, Advisor, Centre for Tax Policy and Administration, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD): “The new paradigm of international taxation in the context the Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) project of OECD and the G20”.
- Mr. Richard Bolwijn, Chief of Trade Facilitation Section, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD): “Linking international tax and investment policies”. Prof. Edgardo Ferré Olivé, Secretary, Institute for Studies of Public Finances of Argentina (IEFPA): “Environmental taxation and globalization”.
IEFPA and UNITAR launched the joint Training Programme on Taxation in March 2015 at the IEFPA Annual Conference in Bariloche, Argentina. The programme is implemented through a blended methodology, mainly through distance learning (e-learning) and through residential courses and study visits that take place in different international locations.
Its main objective is to build skills in economic, political, government administration, and tax and customs administration aspects. All courses are delivered by senior Latin American and international experts with in-depth experience in the respective thematic areas. Among the highlights of the programme was the e-Learning course on “The national tax administration facing the global taxpayer” mentored by the Director General of AFIP Dr. Ricardo Echegaray.
The second objective of the programme is to strengthen connections between tax officials through exchange of experiences and good practices. At the national level, it connects Argentinean tax officials from different provinces. At the international level, it connects tax officials from different Ibero-American countries.
The programme flows directly from the United Nations’ vision of sustainable development which calls for one single sustainable development agenda. To achieve their national sustainable development goals derived from the post-2015 agenda framework, countries will need to create an enabling environment for building prosperity. Illicit financial flows and tax evasion represent major challenges for many transition economies and developing countries.
On 21 September 2015, UNITAR and IEFPA thus reaffirmed their commitment to work together to support the mobilization of domestic resources for sustainable development by signing a Memorandum of Understanding which lays the foundation for a long-term training partnership between the two institutions.
Further information related to the UNITARIEFPA Training Programme on Taxation, its objectives and results and how to participate is available on the following web sites: www.iefpa.org.ar and www.amfeafip.org.ar